Monday, March 30, 2009

Holt Foundation

I've mentioned the names of many people I've met throughout my journey with cancer. Without these people in my life, I doubt I'd be as accepting, strong & hopeful as I am today. They provide support. They give encouraging words. They know what I'm going through & what I'm feeling because they're fighting just as hard as I am. These people are not only my fellow warriors, but they are my friends.

I would like to thank two very important people for providing me the opportunity to meet these friends. Torry & Terrence Holt. The Holt Foundation was established in 1999 by NFL stars Torry and Terrence Holt (former NCSU grads) on behalf of their mother, the late Ojetta Holt-Shoffner. Cancer took her life in 1996, but her memory lives through the positive ventures of The Holt Foundation. The Holt Foundation strives to be a positive influence in the lives of families struggling with cancer by providing education and support for the entire family. They established KidsCan in 2001 which is a program I joined shortly after my diagnosis. It's through this program that we are continuously provided with support, friendship, hope & laughter!




Torry & Terrence Holt

Last night, the Holt Foundation was awarded the "Impact Level" grant from the NFL Charities. It is the highest level of grant & only three are awarded each year. In the above pic, the Holt brothers are accepting a check for $50,000!!! I was given an opportunity to thank them for everything they've generously provided...football & basketball tickets, bowling adventures, an evening @ Monkey Joes, horseback riding, Christmas gifts...the list goes on & on. It also gave me a chance to express my thanks for providing a group where my kids can feel like they aren't the only ones who are going through all the ups & downs of living with a parent with cancer. They don't have to be ashamed of the disease or keep mommy's breast cancer a secret. Without this group, I don't know if my children would be as "comfortable" with cancer as they are today. So, thank you Torry & Terrence. We can't wait to see where you both end up this season!

No comments:

Post a Comment