Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Extreme Makeover - Surgery Dates Have Been Set

Don't worry, I haven't lost my mind & asked my plastic surgeon to create two rubber duck like breasts, but I can't necessarily post a pic of what I'm really getting, right? Although, wouldn't it be kinda cool if the new ones squeeked? I'm sure the dogs would LOVE that feature!

ANYWAY...I've been asked by many about when my surgery will take place, what I'm having done, etc., so for those with a weak stomach, the big surgery will take place on Wednesday, May 6th. For those who enjoy watching the Saw movies, feel free to continue reading while I describe what I am having done.

Dr. Glen Lyle @ Raleigh Plastic surgery will be performing a bilateral TRAM flap procedure. My breasts will be reconstructed by surgically moving a section of muscle & fat from my abdomen to my chest. He will cut me from hip to hip, "open the hood" & create two pockets in my chest for breasts & then move the tissue into those pockets. The surgery takes ~ 6 hours & has a 6 to 8 week recovery time. Prior to the "big" procedure on May 6th, I will go in on April 27th for a minor procedure which is done to increase blood flow to the chest area. Dr. Lyle will go in and clip blood vessels in my lower abdomen...simple procedure...under for only 30 - 45 minutes.

I've done & continue to do everything required to maintain my survivor status & I am so blessed & grateful to be cancer free. But, I've also gotten to the point lately where I feel that cancer has taken away enough from me. I've lost one friend to it and another is fighting for her life at Rex. So in a couple of weeks, cancer will be giving me something back. Thanks to cancer, I will be receiving an extreme makeover. New breasts, a tummy tuck (the bonus part of having a TRAM) & a little "reshaping". Yes, more scars & pain, but also more proof that I'm winning the battle.

No comments:

Post a Comment